Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Articles re Combined Ops, "Merchant Mariner 'True Hero'"

MERCHANT MARINER ‘TRUE NORWICH HERO’ 

By Leading Seaman Coxswain Doug Harrison,
RCNVR and Combined Operations, 1941 - 45

The following is one of many articles published in the Norwich Gazette by D. Harrison (in the 1990s) that refer to his time in Combined Ops during WW2. This article, though it tells of a Merchant Mariner, helps explain how Doug settled on joining the Royal Canadian Navy Volunteer Reserve*.


From the Gazette:

Norwich has its pioneers and its heroes. One of the heroes, according to this observer, is Lorne ‘Skimp’ Smith, a wireless operator once attached to the United States merchant marine during the Second World War.

Skimp was born in the only house on Mary Street, that little street which at one time was the only connecting link between Spring and Center Streets at the west end of the village. His dad, Alonzo, was a painter by trade and his mother kept the home. The house was later occupied by Elmer Sanderson and his family.

Although he attended school here, I know little of Skimp’s early years, possibly because he spent quite a bit of time in the U.S. He was already a wireless operator aboard an American yacht, the Acadia, when we met while he was home visiting with his parents, probably in the summer of 1941.

The war was on and I was working at the Norwich Co-op, about 60 hours a week. Skimp was laying on the lawn enjoying the sun as I rode by on my bike. I knew he was connected to the sea, so I stopped and began to chat with him; I was seriously thinking of joining the service.

Skimp was a tall and happy man, and like so many people of Norwich, I immediately liked him. He was a magnetic character. He had other good qualities, too. These would serve him well as he served the U.S. merchant marine with distinction while experiencing the early symptoms of Multiple Sclerosis. Skimp was an excellent warrant officer, and they were hard to find at the time.

I asked him where he had learned to operate a wireless, and he recalled acquiring most of his skill from Al Stone after school and on weekends. Al was the likable station agent at the west end railway station. I remember the ticker on the counter with in-coming messages which Al could ‘read’ with a practised ear and still go about his work until he heard the Norwich call signal. He would then jot down the message on a pad and send a reply, if necessary. It was all garbage to me, and when I joined the navy it remained garbage. I did practice S.O.S. faithfully, however.

 
“J. C. St. John wanted me to join the army in the Elgin Regiment”
Editor: My father, however (and 100s of other Canadian men)
found their way into the Combined Ops organization" 

I told Skimp that my high school principal, the late J. C. St. John, wanted me to join the army in the Elgin Regiment. He must have forgotten how much I disliked high school cadets. After further conversation I recall Skimp asking me what I wanted to do. “Join the navy,” I replied. His response was akin to ‘then go for it.’

I would curse him later, many times, but on that day and with the urging of Skimp, the die was cast. It was to be navy blue for me.

*It was at the end of his training for the RCNVR, at HMCS Stadacona in Halifax, that Doug and his mates (members of the Effingham Division) 'almost to the man' volunteered - in late fall or early winter, 1941) - for special duties overseas with Combined Operations.

Please link to Articles re Combined Operations, "Norwich Sailor Sees Action"

Photos GH

No comments:

Post a Comment