Thursday, January 21, 2016

Article re Combined Ops, "We Chattered All the Way Home"

Canadian Sailors Trained on Landing Craft Near Irvine

By Doug Harrison, RCNVR and Combined Operations, 1941 - 1945

"Canadians in Comb. Ops trained in Irvine and Inveraray"

The following story is part of a news article that was published in The Norwich Gazette in the early 1990s.

"We Chattered All the Way Home"

I am fond of Scottish people and of Scotland. I got to know many of them first hand during my navy training in various places in Scotland during WWII. They were kind, caring and generous people. When asking directions of them, more than once they jumped on the tram and went part way with me to make sure I reached my destination.

We ninety or so Canadian sailors trained on landing craft on the Firth of Clyde near Irvine in early 1942. In the evening we returned with our craft to tie up at the low sea wall on Harbour Street. The ladies on that street must have kept an eye on us as we came up the channel because on more than one occasion they greeted us at the sea wall with hot tea and freshly baked cookies or scones. They were "Angels from heaven." When we left Irvine we passed the navy hat for the ladies.

"Harbour St. and seawall is home to beautiful Scottish views. 2014"


"My father likely parked himself here in 1942. I did in 2014": Editor

After one particularly long, cold, wet day when we returned to Harbour Street, I said to the Coxswain (I remember it well), "I don't know what you're going to do, Stan, but I know what I'm going to do. I'm taking my attache case and going ashore, and the first person I meet I'm going to ask where I can get a bath and shave and something for my stomach."

I was oily, wet, grubby, and so hungry I could have eaten a horse. I was just a bit homesick too. In navy tongue I was "chock-a-block," Before he could say no (it wouldn't have mattered) I was over the sea wall and walking up Harbour Street, attache case in hand. I'll bet I was a sight in sea boots, dirty duffle coat, beard, hat all askew, and my mood showing all over my face. (An officer would have had to salute me that day).

I soon met three girls of about 18 - 19 years of age. True to my word and without a quiver, I stopped and asked them if they could tell me where I could get cleaned up and something to eat. They said without hesitation that they sure could, and with that they turned about, linked my arms with theirs, and took me to their home. We chattered all the way. There were two sisters and a friend.

By the time I got cleaned up and ate what was their family rations, it was time to return to the landing craft. However, I was invited by the mother to sleep there for the night. I was so tired that K.R. and A.I. (King Regulations and Admiralty Instructions) didn't matter that night. I slept that night in a lot better mood, between clean sheets.


I never tipped my hand to any of my comrades about my good fortune until a long time afterward, because I slept there several nights. I am still in touch with the two sisters and (my wife Edith and I) stay at the home of one of the sisters and her husband when we are in Scotland. In 1986 Edith and I journeyed back to Irvine in Ayrshire: truly it was like going home to me, it wasn't a bit strange even after more than forty years.

"The two Cricksmere sisters and family lived at 22 Waterside Street, Irvine"

Link to Article re Combined Ops, "Friends Reunite After WW2"

Photos GH

No comments:

Post a Comment